The Alberta College of Art + Design (ACAD) invites applications for the following full-time faculty position starting August 2018:
Assistant/Associate Professor, Sculpture
The School of Visual Art invites applications for a permanent faculty position with a specialization in Sculpture. The successful candidate will design and deliver contemporary curriculum at all levels of the BFA Sculpture program, maintain an active professional/research/studio practice, and will support the College through committee work and academic governance. Candidates who demonstrate excellence in pedagogical initiatives in the classroom studio and who teach in other areas will be considered an asset. Additionally, ability to assume a leadership role within the department, a strong commitment to curriculum development, and an excellent understanding of contemporary art are especially desirable.
- Teaching at all levels of the BFA, Sculpture Program
- Contribute actively to curriculum development in the School of Visual Art, Sculpture, and the strategic initiatives of ACAD’s Office of Research and Academic Affairs
- Maintain research/studio and/or professional practice and contribute to research and scholarship in the field of contemporary art
- Demonstrate a commitment to continuing pedagogical and academic excellence
- Provide service to the Faculty and College governance framework, including outreach activities that contribute to the academic life and profile of the College
The successful candidate will have:
- Completed an MFA or graduate degree in a relevant academic discipline
- Demonstrated excellence in teaching at the post-secondary level at all levels for a preferred minimum of three (3) years
- A minimum of three (3) years of research/studio/professional practice outside of post-secondary education
- Demonstrable commitment to innovation in teaching and learning, as well as an active engagement in scholarly and creative activities
- Demonstrated sound knowledge of current and traditional sculpture technologies, both digital and analog
- Demonstrated knowledge of art history and contemporary discourse
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, time-management, and organizational skills.
- The ability to facilitate collaboration in studio production or research
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and time management/organizational skills.
- A community-minded and team oriented attitude
Assignment of rank will be commensurate with educational credentials, teaching and professional experience, as well as the candidate’s record of research and creative activities.
This position is subject to final budgetary approval.
How to Apply
>>> Please submit applications via our careers page. The application must include:
- A cover letter
- A current CV that lists teaching experience (including classes taught) and evidence of an active studio/research practice (e.g. professional practice, creative activities, publications and/or exhibitions)
- A digital portfolio of recent studio work containing twenty (20) images accompanied by a corresponding numbered list including titles, medium and size
- A statement outlining your teaching philosophy
- A statement outlining your current research
Letters of recommendation are not required with application but will be requested at a later stage, if application is successful.
Academic transcripts are not required with application, however certified transcripts are required before an offer of employment is made in accordance with the ACAD Faculty Association Collective Agreement.
Applications must be submitted in a single PDF document.
Once you have created an account, choose the “Upload Resume” option. You will only be able to upload one file, so make sure all required material is combined into a single PDF document. Incomplete submissions will not be considered. Once you have submitted your application, you will not be able to make changes or add additional documents. Please visit ACAD’s How to Apply page to ensure your application is complete prior to submission.
Review of applications will begin on November 30, 2017 and will continue until the position is filled or the search is closed.
Further information about the College is available on our website at www.acad.ca.
ACAD is an equal opportunity employer and is strongly committed to fostering diversity within our community. We welcome those who would contribute to the further diversification of the College. We encourage expressions of interest from all qualified applicants for consideration for this or other suitable vacancies although applications from Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.
The collection of personal information is for the purpose of determining eligibility and suitability for employment as authorized by the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy (FOIP) Act, section 33(c). If you have any questions about the collection of your information, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or (403)284-7683.
While we thank all candidates for their interest, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.